Thread priority setting (wishlist request)

Discussion of Version 3 and developing lua grabbers
bgowland

Thread priority setting (wishlist request)

Post by bgowland » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:02 pm

Would it be possible in a future version to be able to set the grabber to run at a lower thread priority? Perhaps as a command-line switch which could be added to the /GRAB option for scheduled downloads.

The only reason I say this is I just worked out why two recordings made with GB-PVR of Rough Science (BBC2 Learning Zone 5:30am - 6am) have gone a bit screwy. I thought last week's one could be due to new Hauppauge drivers - about 2/3 of the way in it started jumping/stuttering then settled down again. I just watched this morning's recording and it did the same thing but with different drivers in place. Weird.

I then realised that both happened ~20 mins in to the recording. I have a scheduled XMLTV grab at 5:50am each morning.

Using Task Manager and doing a manual grab, I see the xmltvrt.exe goes into a prolonged 99% CPU usage during the post-processing stage. I'm pretty sure this must be what caused the temporary corruption of the recordings.

Cheers,
Brian

alanbirtles
Site Admin

Post by alanbirtles » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:27 pm

i'll put this in the next release for you. in the meantime you can use my priority setter from http://www.birtles.org.uk/run/ to do it:
priorityrun 0 "c:\program files\xmltvgui\xmltvgui" /grab

bgowland

Post by bgowland » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:55 am

Hi Alan,

Sorry for the slow response.

Thanks for putting this in on the next release. There's another Rough Science due to record at 5:30am this morning so I'll try your priority manager. It's the only programme I have which records at this timeslot so it'll show whether my diagnosis was correct or not.

Cheers,
Brian

alanbirtles
Site Admin

Post by alanbirtles » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:39 pm

this option is now available in version 3.06