[SOLVED] PostProcess Not Working Only When Scheduled

Discussion of Version 3 and developing lua grabbers
bushbrother

[SOLVED] PostProcess Not Working Only When Scheduled

Post by bushbrother » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:33 pm

Hi, First thanks for the great tool. However I have a problem ...

Everything works perfectly when running manually and I use the ALT_TEXT script to change the names of channels from BBC3 to BBC THREE etc. However when I run from a windows scheduled task the script gives an error and does not rename any channel IDs. It errors on line 20 with "bad argument #1 to 'lines' (No file or directory)"

Why would this be when I have specified it correctly and works if I do not run it through windows scheduler? Any help appreciated :)
Last edited by bushbrother on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alanbirtles
Site Admin

Re: PostProcess Not Working Only When Scheduled

Post by alanbirtles » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:50 pm

are you using vista? it may be a permissions problem

bushbrother

Post by bushbrother » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:37 pm

Yes I am using Vista, permissions are always a problem ;) So do i need to set some specific permissions for the .exe? If so which ones?

Thanks for your support on this ...

alanbirtles
Site Admin

Post by alanbirtles » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:57 pm

try putting the alt channels text file in a public folder e.g. c:\users\yourname\public

bushbrother

Post by bushbrother » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:01 pm

Hello again, ok I have solved this (eventually :)). It seems that the settings xmltvgui.ini file in the settings directory does not get populated with the settings chosen in the .exe. So when it is run by the scheduler it looks at the .ini and uses those variables. So I went and set all the info in the .ini and ran from scheduler again and it correctly ran the ALT_CHNAMES_Text script, but with much less channels.

On further investigation it seems that running from scheduler also makes the .exe look at the userchannels.txt file located within settings/UK_RT/ directory, for some reason the channels selected in the GUI were not stoed here either. So I had to manually type them in. Now that this is done it works as normal. So my question is why is the GUI not writing the settings correctly to the .ini file?

Also why does the GUI "remember" the settings if they are not in the .ini, but the GUI when run from windows scheduler needs the .ini? Is this to do with permissions to write to the .ini? Seems odd that the settings are not stored but yet remembered ...

Any comments welcome.

alanbirtles
Site Admin

Post by alanbirtles » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:25 pm

vista inteferes with the application and when you run the application it will store settings in c:\program data\xmltvgui, when you run the scheduler it is obviously not using c:\program data and is just using c:\program files instead

bushbrother

Post by bushbrother » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:09 pm

Ahhhhh makes sense ... Alot of wasted time when i could have copied the settings, but oh well :) hope this helps someone else ...

Thanks for clearing it up :)